Fedora 8 user logo

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 15:26:18 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy <gayleard <at> eircom.net> writes:

> > Strange - but it works fine for me on 6 different f8 machines!
>
> Can you add user icons which appear at logon time?
> If so, how exactly do you do it?
>
> Also, I've not been able to get an automatic password-less logon
> under Fedora-8, as I had under Fedora-7.

For user icons - yes in the control centre go to System Administration ->
Login Manager and of course you need to click Administrator Mode and put
the root password in.  Then Click on Users and go to one of the
available users, and then click on the image that appears for an individual
user.

This will allow you to select any of the images in
/usr/share/apps/kdm/pics/users/

I added my own icon files as .png files to this directory and it worked
just fine when logging back in.

I also presume that you have the following contents in /etc/sysconfig/desktop
DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

With this I get the icon images in the login screen for any of the users
that I selected an icon image using the above procedure. You have to repeat
for each of the users separately.

I have not tried password-less login under kde - only for ssh as I want to
have to type the password to login for security, but perhaps others will answer
on that issue.