Java problem

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 18:18:53 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:

>>> yeah...why don't you complain to them?
>> Them?  Fedora is the one that ships something that isn't java that
>> executes when you type 'java'.
> ----
> I guess I missed the post where you found something that didn't work
> because of their GCJ version.

I omitted that, thinking it was self-evident. It doesn't run OpenNMS,
the resin web server, or much of anything else I've found.  Even
azureus, the simple bittorrent client has this statment on their wiki:
"Azureus 2.4.0.0 and greater may run with GCJ 4.1.0 or greater, however
some people experience problems which does not occur with the J2SE
version."  Who has time for that kind of trouble?

> ----
>>> ----
>>> Isn't that Sun's job? There isn't a Sun java package available from any
>>> Fedora package/respin/repository that I am aware of.
>> Sun's java works, but if you install it and type java, something else
>> will run.  That's fedora's fault.
> ----
> not if you run
> alternatives --config java # and set it to Sun's installation

But it doesn't work with Sun's RPM, which my point.  It could have been
made to work out of the box for the price of a couple of symlinks and
saved every user hours and hours of time and trouble. Other
distributions have gone farther than that. And RedHat does for their
paying up2date customers, while still claiming they "can't" redistribute
for fedora users: http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2007-0582.html

> not if you set the proper environment variables such as
> CLASSPATH/JAVA_HOME/JRE_HOME or simply put the java binary in your $PATH

Yes, but then that part is done wrong for every java component that is
included in the distro.

> Too bad that Sun's instructions for doing these things are vague or
> non-existent.

If it is no trouble, will you set it up my computers for free?  Or at
least quantify your meaning by stating what you would charge?  Sun has
no instructions for --alternatives, and if you think the jpackage
documentation (for the versions they supported - they seem to have given
up on fedora) to build an alternatives-conforming package is simple and
straightforward you've found something I missed.

The only straightfoward way I've found is the yummable version at the
opennms site, with dropping the sun binary under /usr/java and replacing
every shred of the alternatives system you can find with direct symlinks
as a distant second.

> ----
>>> I don't know about Windows 64...it's not very popular you know and I am
>>> not rushing out to get it myself. If Sun's Windows 64 bit version works
>>> properly, it would be one of the few software packages that does.
>> Does anything work on Windows?  I meant Solaris as the comparison.
> ----
> Ah...well since Sun controls both Solaris and their Java, it would be
> amusing if they didn't work together.

I think its amusing that Linux browser plugins haven't worked for so
long, yet it is so highly touted. Solaris may avoid the issue completely
because I think they have a generic 32/64 bit library thunking facility.
  I don't recall having any problem on Macs either but haven't paid much
attention to what is 32 bit vs. 64 bit since it all seems to work.

> With Solaris, you also get ZFS but
> on the other hand, you get a ridiculously ancient perl-5.6 because they
> don't want to break backwards compatibility. This is an imperfect world
> we live in.

ZFS is just one of the many things that linux can't have because of the
restrictions in the GPL (and Linus's refusal to stick to his early claim
that his license exception regarding interface use applies to kernel
modules). The number actually includes all code with any license that
doesn't exactly match the GPL - and it always will.

I had hoped that Nexenta was going to give us the perfect combination of
OpenSolaris with zfs and an up to date Ubuntu based userland, but the
team seems to have gotten sidetracked building a commercial file server
appliance first.  Maybe Apple will get their zfs out soon.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com