Java problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Dec 30 00:30:05 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 17:46 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > then again, I did install the jpackage too and was able to integrate it
> > without any fuss but again, this was on EL not Fedora.
> >
> > The implementation path is now well understood and I installed the same
> > JDK/Jpackage for my Fedora 8 desktop since I do Ruby on Rails
> > development on my desktop and run the Ruby-Java-Bridge there. It workee
> > nicely.
>
> I did it that way on CentOS4, but couldn't find jpackage repositories
> for EL5, or fedora 7 or 8. Are those hidden somewhere?
---
http://jpackage.org/yum.php
or for the impatient...
wget \
ftp://jpackage.hmdc.harvard.edu/JPackage/1.7/generic/RPMS.non-free/java-1.6.0-sun-compat-1.6.0.03-1jpp.i586.rpm
----
> > ----
> > yeah, it's a bear to have to 'yum install java-1.6.0-sun-compat'
> > ;-)
>
> I think you omitted a step or three here.  If that worked out of the box
> on fedora or centos I wouldn't have a complaint. But on an FC6, "yum
> search sun-compat" says No Matches found.
----
it would if you don't have jpackage repository configured...see above
----
> > No, Apple has perfected the notion of re-selling you the same software
> > over and over again, ahem, Leopard, iWork and my current favorite story
> > of Apple saying FU to their customers...BootCamp (we told you all along
> > it was Beta...too bad it expired and now you have to pay to upgrade).
>
> At least you can pay them and get what you want (and time machine is
> kind of cute).  With Linux they just say you can't ever have it (zfs) or
> you install dozens and dozens of kernels hoping one will finally work
> (firewire, etc.).
----
paying scum suckers that give you free software that dies so that you
have to purchase an upgrade that actually doesn't have the date time
bomb has been a personal vexation from me ever since the days when BPI
sold accounting software written in BASIC. Something about companies
that use drug dealers as role models...

Viva le choice

Craig