Java problem

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sun Dec 30 11:18:35 UTC 2007

It's rather a long thread now, but I think we must have the patience to
explain and promote key principles again and again.

Am Samstag, den 29.12.2007, 18:17 -0600 schrieb Les Mikesell:
> I'm asking why fedora chooses not to be compatible with the reference
> version of java.  And why it ships something that executes with the name
> java that probably doesn't pass the compatibility tests.

Simply the wrong questions.

Fedora did not choose "not to be compatible with..." but Fedora choosed
not to include an non-free program (i.e. Sun's Java)

And Fedora did not choose "not to be compatible with ..." but choosed to
support the development of a truly free alternative which is (rsp. was)
intended to achieve compatibility, but needed time for development and
testing.

Those who need a reference-compatible version have to install a Java
distribution outside the Fedora repositories. And there are provisions
that you can do that without conflicts with the Fedora (test) version.
So you can develope (or simply run) against the reference version and
you can test (and support the devel of) the truly free alternative in
parallel. That's the Fedora way.

And regarding the file locations: it is not part of the reference. And
when you engage a search engine of your choice you will find a lot of
discussios in the past about problems with the file layout Sun choosed
to use.

Peter