Contributing a new package

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Dec 30 13:28:06 UTC 2007

Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> Colin Paul Adams wrote, at 12/30/2007 08:06 AM +9:00:
>> Is this the correct list to discuss the possibility of contributing a
>> new package to Fedora Linux? If not, where would be more appropriate?
>>
>> I took a look at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate#ML, but I'm
>> still not clear in my mind. Fedora-devel-list sounds like a possibility.
>
> We would appreciate it very much. Please read
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join
> for becoming the maintainer of a new package.

Colin, the first thing to work out is does the package fit fedora's open
source and non-patent guidelines:
:-)
- read through the page and links that Mamoru spoke of.
- take a look at some current fedora spec files: eg
     http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/rpms/915resolution/devel/
- start a .spec file - note this needs to be fedora specific rather than
  taking a common one {that builds on many distros} from the upstream
authors. It can however be a useful guide.
- install the local build tools and attempt to build
- iteratively fix errors /ask advice until you are able to build both
both srpm and rpm
- re-read the PackageMaintainers/Join page - doing all that nitty gritty
stuff that leads to entering a bugzilla review request.
- respond to review suggestions {note some packagers fail to respond
after a month or so, if this continues the reviewer will lose interest -
so keep on it, asking what questions you need to make progress.

:-(
- consider packaging it instead for http://www.rpmfusion.org/ or other
third party repo.
- rpmfusion generally want the package to meet the same guidelines {sans
open source and patent items} that fedora requires, so it is a good idea
to use the fedoraproject guides - the final bits of review, approval and
public builds happen a bit differently.

DaveT.