Java problem

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 18:34:19 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> ----
> just for the record, I remember getting an 'extra' CD with the store
> bought RHL 7.1 that contained Java and I believe Acrobat Reader rpm's so
> the notion that this is something that started with RHEL 4/5 simply
> doesn't wash.

The addition of the Sun java rpm to the updates repository is what is
different.  The old 'extra' CD had commercial demos without ongoing support.

> As for the notion that the system stabilizes prior to a new RHEL
> release, that's entirely anecdotal.

OK, there are only three data points and even though all three show the
same thing you can still say it isn't enough to prove the case...

> There's no question that Red Hat
> personnel are involved in the development of both and it's likely that
> when approaching the cycle release points of RHEL, less efforts are made
> on edge releases but that would likely vary depending upon whether it
> was core items or software that wasn't likely to provide libraries that
> other software needs.

I've forgotten the exact details, but I think there was a discussion on
the CentOS list about some things that were the same binaries as fedora
being included in RHEL5 without a recompile and causing some trouble
when they did their rebuild-from-source.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com