Mounting SD card with specific encoding

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 04:10:14 UTC 2007

On Dec 26, 2007 8:15 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27/12/2007, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> > Hummm....  Are you running Ubuntu or Kbuntu?  I ask that since you mention
> > Konqueror and Ubuntu is Gnome based and usually uses Nautilus.
>
> This is Ubuntu, with KDE added afterward. Not Kubuntu.
>
> > FWIW, I installed Ubuntu 7.1 and allowed the system to automount the usb
> > disk I created on RHELv4 and it displays the Hebrew just fine.  The
> > "interesting" thing is that the mods loaded are nls_iso8859_1 and nls_cp437.
> >
> > So, details on what OS you are running....and could you let the system
> > automount just for a test?
>
> I only wish that it would automount. I have no idea why it doesn't.
>
> Update: I just did some hard googling and I found this command:
> sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd
> which, when run, then allows the USB media to automount. And when it
> does, the Hebrew works perfectly! I cannot figure out how to add that
> script to my startup as it needs to be done as root, but I think that
> if I google "runlevel" I should find my answer. In any case, I should
> be able to take it from here, though of course advice is still and
> always welcome.
>
> Thank you very much, especially Ed and Tod, I've learned a lot with
> this little 'problem'. That's what Linux is: a new learning experience
> every day! Now off to google...
>
> Dotan Cohen

Hi again Dotan Cohen!

I was using the results of your good "Googeling" research when I ran
across this:

" Try a different cable. If the UHCI controller can operate the
device, but the EHCI controller cannot, you either have a broken
kernel build (unlikely) or the electrical connection cannot maintain
the 480 megabit performance. "

Here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2004/12/msg00139.html

Actually, extension cables are not permitted in the USB-2 standard.

Also, when the drive is successfully mounted what is in messages  and
the output of mount?  Also, can you successfully unmount the drive and
then re-mount it by hand (perhaps not calling for the missing ISO
file)?

Have Fun!

Tod