Using console.perms

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 15:10:14 UTC 2007

> Karl's post reads fine to me.  I didn't look at his post as a "guide."
> True, I haven't had my pot of coffee yet....  ;=]
>
> -- Mark C, Allman, PMP

I am still in agreement with Tim.  Karl explained nothing in that
original posting despite his follow up claim that it explains more
than the man pages.  I do agree with Karl that the man and info pages
on console.perms are poor.  I just don't agree that his posting has
provided any explanation.  He simply provided the content of his
configuration files relating to the topic with no explanation at all
beyond his opening comments about changing ownership of /dev/ttyS0.

What he posted may very well be helpful to someone dealing with that
issue.  But it's certainly not clear to me (and I consider myself to
have reasonable knowledge of Linux - more in some areas of it, less in
others, none yet in others).  If it contained proper explanations (any
explanations) I should at least have a general idea about it and if
properly explained I would know how to apply this to either /dev/ttyS0
or some other device should my circumstances require it.  Neither is
the case.

And for the record, I'm not asking you (Karl) to attempt to post
something more authoritative on this issue to the listserv, unless in
response to someone soliciting help on this topic.  If you have some
unsolicited tips, follow the example of others and put it on a site of
your own and simply provide a link here for those interested in it.

Jacques B.