Java problem

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 16:31:21 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>> you can run ZFS AND not have to deal with messy GPL kernel...it's called
>>> Open Solaris
>> Which can't use device drivers that have GPL restrictions - the viral
>> nature of the GPL has hijacked much of the work that would otherwise be
>> available for any use.
>>
> So, use the drivers from the hardware manufacture. The authors of
> the Linux drivers have the right to decide how there work is used.

No they don't.  The only way to contribute code to a GPL'd project is
under the GPL.

> don't hear you complaining that the Windows drivers can not be used,
> but there are even more restrictive - you can not even look at the
> code.

NDISwrapper sort-of, sometimes works.

> Your complaints about the GPL always boil down to the fact
> that the license prevents you from hijacking the code.

I'm not interested in hijacking anything.  I just want to be able to use
code that everyone has been given permission to use but not to
redistribute in creative, usable forms.  And since it can't be
distributed that way, it effectively can't be used.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com