Java problem

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 17:01:49 UTC 2007

Alan Cox wrote:
>>> Open Solaris
>> Which can't use device drivers that have GPL restrictions - the viral
>> nature of the GPL has hijacked much of the work that would otherwise be
>> available for any use.
>
> Strange use of the word "hijack". The licence was decided by the code
> author, so it would be like saying someone hijacked their own car. The
> licence, if anything, stops Sun hijacking their work.

Sorry, I just don't understand the concept of _wanting_ to prevent the
distribution of improved versions of code and keeping others from having
it, while at the same time claiming it is free.

But, as for hijacking, can you assert that no work currently in Linux
came from unrestricted *bsd style code and had GPL restrictions attached
to further development, hindering additional innovation?  And that every
contributor would have chosen to restrict distribution if it had not
been necessary?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com