Intermittent Disaster

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Mon Dec 31 23:42:06 UTC 2007

On Monday 31 December 2007 12:03:47 am Ric Moore wrote:

when I try the steps below I get:

squid failed. The error was:
init_cache_dir /var/spool/squid... /etc/init.d/squid: line 54:  4704 Aborted
$SQUID -z -F -D >> /var/log/squid/squid.out 2>&1
Starting squid: /etc/init.d/squid: line 53:  4705 Aborted
$SQUID $SQUID_OPTS >> /var/log/squid/squid.out 2>&1
[FAILED]

This in the gui text box

and

[root at localhost ~]# tail /var/log/squid/squid.out
Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE16): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 0.010 seconds = 0.003 user + 0.007 sys
Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 9
FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname.  Please
set 'visible_hostname'

Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE16): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 0.009 seconds = 0.004 user + 0.005 sys
Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 0

and then Firefox can't get out with page requests. I reset it so it works ok,
but where would I set the visible hostname?

Dave

> On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 12:37 -0500, David Boles wrote:
> > But to help your Firefox experience I have four suggestions.
> >
> > - ---------------------------------------------
> > 1) Install the Adblock Plus extension
> >
> > This stops all, or most, of those adds and speeds up the pages loading.
> > - ---------------------------------------------
> >
> > 2) Install the Flashblock extension.
> >
> > This blocks flash from all sites and you can, as you wish, allow flash
> > from certain sites as you choose.
> > - ---------------------------------------------
> >
> > 3) Remove all of the languages that you do not need from the extensions.
> > English is 'built-in' and these are checked for updates each time you
> > load Firefox. Slows down the loading. This has to be done as 'root' and
> > they will be replaced with each Firefox upgrade from Fedora.
> > - ---------------------------------------------
> >
> > 4) use the squid proxy
> >
> > Yum install squid
> >
> > service squid start
> >
> > goto the services menu and set squid to start on boot in levels 3 and 5.
> >
> > save and close the window
> >
> > start Firefox > Edit > Preferences > Connections 'settings...' button
> >
> > select manual proxy configuration
> >
> > in the box HTTP Proxy    type 127.0.0.1
> >
> > in the box Port type 3128
> >
> > check the box Use this proxy for all protocols
> >
> > click ok
> >
> > set Cache to 0 (that is the number zero)
> >
> > click clean now
> >
> > click close
> > - ---------------------------------------------
> >
> > Enjoy the speed up
>
> Perfect! I had no clue! Squid does a helluva job, I just didn't know
> about it. Thanks! Ric
> --
> Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
> http://www.wayward4now.net  <---down4now too

There is no single government agency that views sustainability through a broad
lens, taking into account the values of the people affected by government
decisions. Any model of sustainability that is driven solely by an economic
engine is deficient if it is incapable of taking into account social values.

Mr. Justice David Vickers, BC Supreme Court in Tsilhqot'in Nation v. British
Columbia,2007