Remote VNC install

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Feb 1 23:54:24 UTC 2007

    Hey folks,

    I have a remote server that needs to be upgraded to FC6 (read: fresh
install)  At the moment it's up and running with FC1.  This machine is
also on the (local) network where I have all the iso's needed to
install.  Now, normally, when I am at that location, I will grab the
vmlinuz and initrd files off of the first ISO, put them on the machine
to be upgraded, add the necessary lines to grub and reboot the thing.
Once it reboots and goes into the installer, I tell it to do an NFS
install and off I go.

    However, that approach won't work right now because I'm not
physically there nor is there anyone else who can do the initial stuff
for me.  Now, since FC6 can run a vnc server during installation, I can
then remote install the system, right?  So my question is, what
parameters do I feed grub to tell it a) launch 'linux vnc' instead of
just linux, and b) have the ip address fed to it directly (with all
other parameters the installer asks for, language, keyboard settings,
network settings and the NFS server information).  Remember, I'm not
there to type anything on the keyboard and I know the installer is going
to ask me for the IP information before it launches vnc.

    Anyone?

--
H | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6