convert user a/c from RH 7.x to FC6

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Feb 6 15:53:27 UTC 2007

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:

> Mogens Kjaer wrote:
>
>> edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:
>>
>>> 2, copy the password of abc from RH7.x to FC6.
>>

>> Are the passwords encrypted with MD5 on the RH7.x machine?
>>
>> If not, you'll have to change authentication on FC6
>> to not to use MD5. There's a security risk in doing this...
>>
>> Then you can enter the encrypted passwords when you adduser with
>> the -p flag.
>>
>> Mogens
>>
> Hello mogens,
>
> 1, there are /etc/password, /etc/shadow files on the Rh7.x System...
> 2, So, how can we add user and copy the password of user from the old
> system to the new one ?

FC6 uses MD5 encryption.  MD5 passwords are longer than crypt'ed passwords
and start with $1$.

Copy the lines in the old system's /etc/shadow file to the one on the new
system.  CAUTION: Back up /etc/shadow before making any changes!

I thought that login could tell the difference between crypt'ed passwords
and MD5 passwords.  If so, then if your old passwords are crypt'ed, you
should be able to just copy the crypt'ed passwords and they should work on
the new system.  If you have the users change their passwords, the changed
ones should then be MD5 encoded.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences