VMWare repo

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 20:14:50 UTC 2007

On 06/02/07, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> > On 06/02/07, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> If it helps any, I can vouch for that site.  They do a great job and they
> >> are frequently mentioned on the VMware forums.
> >>

> > Allright, then, I'm game. I'm running the runme.pl script now, and
> > I've gotten to this:
> > The default port : 902 is not free. We have selected a suitable alternative
> > port for VMware Server use. You may override this value now.
> > Remember to use this port when connecting to this server.
> > Please specify a port for remote console connections to use [904]
> >
> > WARNING: VMware Server has been configured to run on a port different from
> > the
> > default port. Remember to use this port when connecting to this server.
> > Unable to find any instance of the super-server "inetd" or "xinetd".  It is
> > possible that you do not have one of these packages installed on this
> > machine.
> > Please install "inetd" or "xinetd".
> >
> > If you do have "inetd" or "xinetd" installed, make sure that /etc/inetd.conf
> > or
> > /etc/xinetd.d exists.
> > The configuration will continue, but you should re-run
> > /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl after you fix the super-server.
> >
> > Hit enter to continue.
> >
> > So, I'll remember port 904 if need be. But what should I do about
> > inetd and/or xinetd? Yum them? (I didn't yet check if they are
> > available)
>
> $ rpm -q xinetd
> xinetd-2.3.14-8
>
> If you don't have it, yum for it.  It's possible that it was not installed
> originally if you did not install any package that requires it.
>
> Are you running something that listens on port 902?
>
> $ grep 902 /etc/services
> ideafarm-chat   902/tcp                         # IDEAFARM-CHAT
> ideafarm-chat   902/udp                         # IDEAFARM-CHAT

ideafarm-chat   902/tcp                         # IDEAFARM-CHAT
ideafarm-chat   902/udp                         # IDEAFARM-CHAT

I've googled for a few minutes but I can't figure out exactly what
this ideafarm-chat does. I hope that it's not associated with
ideafarm.com as one post that I found suggests. In any case I don't
want it- I'll see if I can have the VMWare server replace it on 902.

[root at localhost ~]# man ideafarm
No manual entry for ideafarm
[root at localhost ~]# locate ideafarm
[root at localhost ~]#