videolan

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 17:22:01 UTC 2007

FreshRPMS sometimes replaces system libraries with newer versions.
> This is done to provide new features but it can cause conflicts.  One
> recent example was that libgpod was updated there.  Core was providing
> libgpod-0.3.0 and freshrpms updated that to libgpod-0.4.0 not noticing
> that they were not ABI/API compatible.  That's causing an
> incompatibility with Core and Extras.

Core applications for me are the ones needed to run a server.
libgpod is not the case. If this breaks, no one is going to jump off the
bridge.
Every repo will have problems along the time. Livna had a lot recently.
This is unavoidable. The point is: are the these problems corrected fast?

>>Are you saying that livna is supported by RedHat?

> Livna is definitely NOT supported by RedHat or Fedora.  The things
> provided by Livna are things that are not allowed in Fedora for
> various reasons (licensing, patents, etc.)

What I really like in linux is that there is a real person behind
everything.

ATrpms - Axel Thimm
Dries - Dries Verachter
Dag - Dag Wieërs
Freshrpms -  Matthias Saoul
KDERedHat - Rex Dieter
Livna - ????

I have a profound admiration for the work of all the people I listed above.
Sometimes, I would have done things differently, but I would never FUD
any repo because of that.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ