Limitation for User

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 17:02:12 UTC 2007

edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I want to how to config the limitation ( permission ) from the following ?
>
> [svradmin at svr1 etc]$ pwd
> /usr/local/proftpd/etc
> [svradmin at svr1 etc]$ ls -l
> total 4
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1894 Feb 20 00:22 proftpd.conf
> [svradmin at svr1 etc]$
>
> Only allow user root, svradmin and edward they can access to
> /usr/.local/proftpd/etc/ ( directory ) and read / modify the config file
> ( such as proftpd.conf ).

Root automatically has full access and doesn't need special
consideration.  One of the other users (svradmin) can be the owner and
have rwx permission.  To allow access by additional users you can add
group rwx permission and put the users in the of the files.  Having a
single other user is a slightly special case where you could give
edward's group to the file instead of the other way around.  In any case
you need to be careful when creating new files to set the correct group.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com