ESR: Goodbye Fedora

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Fri Feb 23 03:38:05 UTC 2007

 ellis at spinics.net (Rick) wrote:

> In article <cone.1172118125.215471.3294.500 at commodore.email-scan.com>,
> Sam Varshavchik  <fedora-list at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> >I have had no issues with yum update on FC 6 x86_64.
>>

> Well I have and quite often. This was a clean FC6 install
> too. Perhaps *you* aren't getting them because you don't
> have as many packages installed?
Not sure whether this is a big number or not:

[root at fubar ~]# rpm -qa | wc -l
1364
[root at fubar ~]# uname -a
Linux fubar.local.davenjudy.org 2.6.19-1.2911.fc6 #1 SMP Sat Feb 10
15:16:31 EST 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I've had more problems on my i686 desktop but that was due to mixing the
wrong combination of repositories (Dries and Livna).  Incompatible repos
seems to be more of an issue than yum itself.  I keep the laptop fairly
sane since I only use it for a limited number of things.  The desktop
tends to accumulate stuff (and incompatibilities) since that's where I
play.  Not sure how to handle this since "the right thing" would be for
everyone to build to the same standard (you can stop laughing now).

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce