Do I need to reinstall?

Mark Fraser fedora at mfraz.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Feb 24 07:41:57 UTC 2007

In article <1172261283.26502.33.camel at prophead.corp.publichost.com>,
   Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 13:11 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:53:06 +0000 (GMT)
> > Mark Fraser <fedora at mfraz.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > First of all where as I'm told I should be able to type just
> > > ndiswrapper into a console window, I have to type
> > > /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper same goes for iwconfig for which I have to type
> > > /sbin/iwconfig and I still can't seem to do a scan.
> >
> > Type this:
> >
> > su -
> >
> > And then try your commands.

> Explanation: "su" by itself gives you the UID and GID of root.  "su -"
> (with the dash) gives you the UID and GID of root AND root's environment
> (environment variables, path, etc.).  Essentially the dash says "do a
> full login of me as root".

Thanks for that. I did manage to get ndiswrapper working for a while, but
then the whole computer locked up. This looks like it is due to the
difference in stack sizes between the kernel and the driver I am trying to
use. From what I have read, this requires recompiling the kernel to use a
8KB stack which is beyond me at the moment.