Eclipse running out of memory, or..?

Frode Petersen fropeter at online.no
Mon Feb 26 11:24:08 UTC 2007

(OT - The quoted message didn't show up in my fedora-list mail, although
it was sent there; only in my private mail. Is this normal?)

Andrew Overholt skrev:
> Hi,
>
> * Frode Petersen <fropeter at online.no> [2007-02-23 07:25]:
>> But I am using the Fedora version of Eclipse, which is a precompiled
>> version using the java stack included with Fedora, and since it is
>> precompiled, I don't have access directly to the java VM used, thus I
>> can't use a startup script as you suggested.
 >Snip<
>> Or am I completely confused here?

> This is incorrect.  We build the bytecode exactly the same as upstream:
> with the JDT Core compiler, ecj.  After the build is done - the exact
> same as upstream - we natively-compile all of the jars with gcj to
> shared libraries which can be used by gij.

Completely confused then.;-)
Good to get this right.

> But you said you were
> running with the Sun VM so all you're using is the bytecode.
> /usr/bin/eclipse is the binary (native) launcher just like upstream that
> is used to spawn the VM.  In the case of Sun, at
> least, the memory flags in the file I mention below should be respected.

>> Because of this there should be some means by which I could configure
>> the memory usage and possibly other things regarding that VM. I have
>> not  as yet found any conclusive info on where that configuration is
>> done in the Fedora version of Eclipse.
>
> You can fiddle with memory stuff (mx, etc.) in
> /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse.ini.  It's the same as upstream except that
> it's owned by root and managed by RPM instead of just an exploded
> tarball :) .
Thank you for this! I'll see if it helps.

> You may get some more tips if you ask on fedora-devel-java-list as some
> of the people there may have more experience with this kind of
> situation.

> One thing to confirm is that you are indeed running with the Sun VM.  If
> you've downloaded plugins that aren't shipped with Fedora, they don't
> contain the gcj-compiled bits and if you're just running with our stock
> setup, they'll be purely interpreted by gij.  They'll run slower than if
> there are .sos corresponding to the jars.  But if you're running with
> the Sun VM then that's irrelevant.
> Andrew

One of the plugins refused to run with less than Java 1.5, I have not
checked the other in that respect. But what you're saying here, if I get
you right, is that if I need Java 1.5, there wouldn't be any advantage
in using Fedora Eclipse over the upstream version, but if the Fedora
Java stack suffices for the plugins, Eclipse itself would run faster,
although the plugins won't benefit. Confused again? :-)

Frode