Video conferencing

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 19:43:37 UTC 2007

On 2/1/07, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 01 February 2007 18:55, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> >
> > For those who may not know, SIP is for the audio stream and H.323 is
> > for the video stream.
> >
> I'm no expert here, but that doesn't make sense to me.  GnomeMeeting ran with
> H.323 before SIP had been brought into the package.  SIP and H.323 are quite
> separate protocols, as far as I'm aware.  SIP began to be important with the
> advent of VOIP, which was why it had to become part of ekiga.  As it is, you
> can use either protocol with ekiga.

I am no expert either. I could be very wrong but I was just under the
impression that Ekiga still did the video portion with H.323 and did
audio with SIP if requested. It is a confusing mish-mash of clients
out there and I don't know of any pure SIP client that handles video
even if SIP can handle a video stream. There seems to be a reluctance
to do everything with SIP. Even Gizmo uses SIP for voice and
Jabber/XMPP for text when text can be done with SIP/SIMPLE.

Maybe XMPP promises to unify audio/video/text but that has yet to happen.