xmms fc6

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 1 23:39:00 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 00:22 +0100, François Patte wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I wonder how to have xmms working under fc6: it is unable to play any cd
> because (I think) it requires a device (no problem: /dev/cdrom ...)
> *and* a directory, /media/cdrom in later version of fedora.
>
> There is no more /media/cdrom... and :media is empty, even if I load a
> cd/dvd/usb-key....
>
> Where is the config for external media?

It's part of the automounter.  When the automounter sees removable
media, it creates a mountpoint under /media based on (a) the filesystem
label, (b) a vendor ID from the USB ID, or (c) a generic thing such as
"cdrom".

As far as associating what happens...that's covered by your desktop
preferences.

Gnome:
Go to "System->Preferences->Removable Drives and Media", then click on
the "Multimedia" tab.  You can specify what happens when various things
are inserted.  By default, audio CDs would be played by gnome-cd.  If
you want xmms, then change the command appropriately.

KDE:
Go to "Fedora Logo->Control Center->Sound & MultiMedia->Audio CDs" and
check the box for "Specify CD Device:" and put in the device name for
your CD player (it's probably already set).  KDE defaults to playing
through xmms (I believe--I don't use KDE often).

-                  Heisenberg _may_ have slept here                  -