Swap Partition Problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 2 00:48:34 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 15:54 -0800, Fyodor Jr wrote:
> Hi Guys;
> I just already installed FC 4. But my box look like slow. After i am
> checking from my shell a got like this below :
>
> [junior at blackbox ]$ free
>              total       used       free     shared    buffers
> cached
> Mem:        742684     537136     205548          0  27228      87496
> -/+ buffers/cache:     422412     320272
> Swap:            0          0          0
> [junior at blackbox ]$
>
> [junior at blackbox ]$ cat /etc/fstab
> # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
> 1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
> 1 2
> /dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
> 0 0
> /dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
> 0 0
> LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults
> 1 2
> LABEL=/opt              /opt                    ext3    defaults
> 1 2
> /dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults
> 0 0
> /dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults
> 0 0
> LABEL=/usr              /usr                    ext3    defaults
> 1 2
> LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults
> 1 2
> LABEL=arent 2857791     swap                    swap    defaults
> 0 0
> #/dev/sda1               /media/YAMIN2           vfat
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,managed 0 0
> [junior at blackbox ]$
>
> In my opinion my swap partition that i just already created when i was
> installing were not running. Any one have a suggestion about this
> problem ? Thanxs Before.

The best way to see what kind of swap usage is going on is to use
"swapon -s", e.g.:

[root at prophead etc]# swapon -s
Filename                                Type            Size    Used
Priority
/dev/hda6                               partition       2096440 19944
-1

If swap isn't being used, try "swapon -a" to enable it, then "swapon -s"
after a while to check on it.

-           Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.            -