The Case of the Missing Characters

kuiskers kuiskers at telus.net
Fri Feb 2 02:39:30 UTC 2007

> On 01Feb2007 16:57, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
>
> One approach may be to connect a non-web mail reader to your hotmail
> account. Does it allow POP or IMAP access? If so, you could connect
> something like thunderbird (or getmail or fetchmail, depending on your
> mail setup) to the pop/imap service, and set up your outgoing email to
> use your hotmail address on the headers.

I've decided to use my favourite email program, kmail, which I use always. I
only use those online email sites for chatting on forums and lists, as I am
wary about contaminating my provider account with spam. I had to create an
email alias with my provider - yes, another identity! alas! - but at least I
don't have to go to a web site to write, which is easier. Also, the provider
doesn't allow names longer than 8 characters, so kwhiskerz had to become
kuiskers, which is still in my kde theme, and the meaning is clear, as is the
pronunciation, but it now looks Dutch :-)

I've noticed that when I hit reply with kmail, a field opens below the quoted
text, while reply in hotmail (and gmail, I think) opens the reply field above
the quoted text. I have never given much thought to top- or bottom-posting,
but simply type my reply into the space provided by the programmers of the
software.

> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 16:57 -0700, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> I can understand that, but you've picked the spawn of the devil to work
> with. I'm sure if you say what you want from a service (webmail or not,
> IMAP, POP3, masses of storage, your own domain name, etc.), you'll get
> some suggestions of what to try.

Google's not imap, is it? Which is a free (in both senses, even) imap mail to
try?

Yeah, I was kind of thinking hotmail for corresponding with redhat would be
more than a bit uncool :-)

The nice thing about using my provider's email is that I just click 'check
mail in' and all of the mail comes, and they have web access, too.
Unfortunately, it is pop and not imap.

--
kwhiskerz{