Need to give a presentation on the benefits of Linux

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 2 06:34:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 22:59 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Arch Willingham wrote:
> > How did you do roaming profiles in Linux???
>
> You can NFS mount the whole /home directory, or let the automounter
> mount individual home directories on access.  It's not quite the same
> concept but does what you usually want with a bunch of workstations on a
>   LAN with users logging in anywhere.
----
indeed - and the users' home directory is provided by LDAP and the
kickstart that I created automatically creates the
nsswitch.conf/ldap.conf/auto.master/ssh-keys, certificates and paths
necessary for the mount points so on first boot, any user can log in and
begin working. Of course (and this will make Les smile), the kickstart
install went from 20 minutes to over an hour because after the install,
a yum-update is performed and many, many packages have to be updated.

Macintosh was a bit trickier because it required an anonymous connection
via afpovertcp (netatalk) and some extra hacks in LDAP that provide the
various paths (recalling from memory) apple-user-homeDirectory
apple-user-homeurl from a rather inane apple.schema and hacking each
Macintosh's Directory Services.

Craig