yum update

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 2 15:51:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 00:00 -0800, Justin Zygmont wrote:
> does anyone notice yum cannot update in FC6?  Even trying yum update yum
> fails:
>
> --> Running transaction check
> Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by package
> libxslt-python
> Error: Missing Dependency: db4 = 4.3.29-9.fc6 is needed by package
> db4-devel
> Error: Missing Dependency: kdelibs >= 6:3.5.6 is needed by package kdebase
> Error: Unable to satisfy dependencies
> Error: Package libxslt-python needs python(abi) = 2.4, this is not
> available.
> Error: Package libxslt-python needs /usr/lib/python2.4, this is not
> available.
> Error: Package kdebase needs kdelibs >= 6:3.5.6, this is not available.

Well I update using yum all the time. In your case (and that often
happens) the versions of the things you want to install are not in sync
with things already installed. That is sometimes an unresolvable
problem. Often the update must be done in two stages. Thr first where
yoy exclude updaating a particular package and the second where you
install it separately.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>