Suspend bug

oleksandr korneta atenrok at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 14:54:01 UTC 2007

on 02/03/2007 01:38 AM David G. Miller wrote:
> oleksandr korneta <atenrok at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have Compaq Presario v2404us (consider it HP) Turion based. FC6 x86_64
>> installed. Is is equipped with ATI Radeon Express 200M videodapter which
>> I use with opensource drivers. I experience regular daily crashes (1-2
>> times per day) with kernel panic (blinking CapsLock led, darks screen,
>> non-responsive system). I did not notice any correlation between the
>> crashes and my activity on this laptop, it can happen equally under
>> heavy load as well as right after waking up the machine from the suspend
>> mode.
>>
>> kernel version 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
>>
>> familiar symptoms huh?
>>
>> note, I did not have such problem using FC4 on this machine for the
>> whole year.
>>
>> because of kernel panic, I assume I can't catch any output in the log
>> files about the cause, can I?
>>
>> -- regards, Oleksandr Korneta /The nice thing about standards is that
>> there are so many to choose from./
> I attempted to reproduce the problem earlier today by going through the
> same set of actions that preceded the lock-up I described earlier.  The
> system is still running normally at this time.  I'll give it a little
> bit longer (overnight) and see how it's doing tomorrow.
>
> My experience with the laptop is pretty much as you described: I used it
> extensively running FC4 with no problems.  This is the first "random
> crash" since installing FC6.  I am running ndiswrapper with the Windows
> driver for my Broadcomm wireless NIC so the system is "tainted."

I am also using ndiswrapper with 64bit windows driver. I had really bad
experience with bcm43xx (regular network drops, resolvable by restart of
the system only).

> The
> only way I can use the bcm43xx wireless drives is if I disable security
> on my AP which I'm not going to do.

fortunately, I am not using that security, because I do not believe
secure wifi. All I have is just filtering by mac-address to prevent
non-authorized use by my neighbors. I have another wired machine for
secure activity.