tetex FC6

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 15:39:37 UTC 2007

François Patte wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> as a TeX user I very puzzled using TeX/LaTeX under FC6:
>
> 1- man is not up to date: it refers to initex (and some other init
> scripts for TeX which no longer exist...)

"If they exist, then both initex and virtex are symbolic
links to the tex executable."

> 2- as it took almost 10 seconds before latex begun to compile a file, I
> used strace to see why.... and I discovered that latex was reading all
> directories in my home dir to find the file it needed to compile my
> (small) test file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't reproduce this (and my home directory is quite cluttered),
A file that demonstrates this problem would be useful.

> It is more and more like M$ which search a file in all possible
> directories instead of reading an uptodate database.

You refer to M$ in your other email as well.  I'm not sure why.

> Don't understand why it is like this!
>
> QUESTIONS:
> how to build babel format for latex, pdflatex and Co as initex and
> pdfinitex no longer exist?

I've never used Babel, but from the line in the line in the man
page (which you refer to):
"When called as initex (or when the -ini option is given) it can be
used to precompile macros into a .fmt file."

--
imalone