Dell's w/o OS - where?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 3 22:34:15 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 09:16 -0800, Duncan Clark wrote:
> They do not list them on the "Home/Home Office" part of their website, but
> if you go to the "Small Buisness" choice you can then choose under
> desktops or laptops either "Open Source Desktops" or "Open Source Laptops"
>  they apparently come loaded with FreeDOS (for free, I think so they can
> boot and test them)
>
> On Sat, February 3, 2007 09:06, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 12:45:18 -0500,
> >   Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> >> Someone posted here recently about Dell now making machines
> >> available for sale w/o an OS - I can't seem to find that post,
> >> nor any such machines on the Dell website. Probably a case of
> >> staring me in the face, but does anyone have a link handy?
> >
> > Why not buy from parts. That way not only do you avoid the Windows tax,
> > but you can also get better quality (ecc memory and motherboard that
> > supports
> > it) parts and/or video cards that have open drivers.
The problem with this suggestion is that Dell will not sell Business
Systems to an individual. For example, when I tried to buy a Dell
Latitude D810 laptop, I had to trick them into selling it to me and pay
$300 more than the advertised price in the brochure they sent me.

Otherwise, I have been associated with Trinity University for at least
15 years when they only bought Dell machines. We have run Red Hat Linux
and Fedora on more than 10 different models of Dell machines without
much problem . Some problems with RAID hardware and Nvidia video cards
but  they were fixable.
I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best. --
Oscar Wilde
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net