Dell's w/o OS - where?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Feb 4 02:34:11 UTC 2007

Subject: Re: Dell's w/o OS - where?
To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>

"They do not list them on the "Home/Home Office" part of their website,
but if you go to the "Small Buisness" choice you can then choose under
desktops or laptops either "Open Source Desktops" or "Open Source
Laptops"  they apparently come loaded with FreeDOS (for free, I think so
they can boot and test them)"

During testimony in the Microsoft anti-trust trial, it was explained
that Dell had a locked in contract which requires (required) that every
machine it sells, must be sold with an OS. So Dell provided bare
machines, with an enclosed FreeDos floppy disk. This complied with the
terms of the contract. M$ of course expected that every machine would be
sold with an M$ OS for which it would be compensated.

(This was referred to in a comment post on Groklaw about 2 years ago,
and the relevant testimony linked to on that site.. I read the
testimony, but I have no idea how you would find it now).

Geoff