fedora core 6 (writable file permissions related)

Richard England rlengland at verizon.net
Sun Feb 4 05:59:43 UTC 2007

Harpreet Dhaliwal wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been asked to check permissions on system directories and files
> using the follwoing command:
>
> # find / -perm -002 -type f -print
>
> output of this command is as follows:
>
> /proc/2056/attr/keycreate
> /proc/2056/attr/sockcreate
> /proc/2057/task/2057/attr/current
> /proc/2057/task/2057/attr/exec
> /proc/2057/task/2057/attr/fscreate
> /proc/2057/task/2057/attr/keycreate
> /proc/2057/task/2057/attr/sockcreate
> /proc/2057/attr/current
> /proc/2057/attr/exec
> /proc/2057/attr/fscreate
> /proc/2057/attr/keycreate
> /proc/2057/attr/sockcreate
> /proc/2058/task/2058/attr/current
> /proc/2058/task/2058/attr/exec
> /proc/2058/task/2058/attr/fscreate
> /proc/2058/task/2058/attr/keycreate
>

> I don't know how in the world this kind of output would tell me the
> permissions.
> I really did not understand it.
> Can someone help me out with this problem.
>
> thanks in advance,
> ~Harpreet
If I read the man page for "find" correctly, what this command does is
to start at the root of your file system  "/" and look for files "-type
f" that have the permissions set for the world to be able to write to
them  "mode 002", and then prints the file name  "-print" to standard
out (your screen).

"man is your friend".

ls -al will tell you about all the permissions in a more explicit way.

Perhaps if you provide the context in which it was suggested that you
use this command, someone can help you interpret the results?

~~R