Wieless security (was: Suspend bug)

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sun Feb 4 15:28:01 UTC 2007

Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 09:54 -0500, oleksandr korneta wrote:
>
>> > I do not believe secure wifi.
>>

> Hmm, you don't believe it can be done, or don't want to do it?
>

>> > All I have is just filtering by mac-address to prevent non-authorized
>> > use by my neighbors.
>>

> FYI:  That will not *prevent* unauthorised use.  About all it'll do is
> prevent *accidental* use of yours.
>
> Of course, if that's all you're bothered about, then don't worry about
> it.
One reason I ended up running network cable to most of the rooms of our
house was the trouble I had trying to get a friend's laptop to connect
to my AP (it's also nice to have a gigabit LAN through the house).  If I
have trouble getting a system to connect and I have full access and know
"everything", it should at least be fairly difficult for someone who
doesn't have such access and knowledge.

I run WEP (will probably go to WPA when I find time to diddle with
setting it up), filter MACs and don't broadcast ESSID.  I know that
theoretically this set up isn't absolutely secure but I'm guessing I've
raised the bar high enough that I'll keep the script kiddies, access
scofflaws and all but the really serious crackers out.  Also, a quick
scan of the APs in the neighborhood indicates there are several that are
much easier to crack (or just use).

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce