Add/Remove/(K)Yum/Apt-Get -- Which is best?

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 10:20:15 UTC 2007

On 2/5/07, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 01:04 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> > On 2/5/07, Benjamin Sher <delphi123 at zebra.net> wrote:
> > > Dear friends:
> > >
> > > Would you recommend installing apt (or kapt)? If so, when would you use it?
> > > And would you use it only with Fedora's approved repositories or with any
> > > repositories (e.g. Debian apt)?
> > >
> > > Which is preferable: (K)yum, Add/Remove or apt-get?
> Would you prefer Coke or Pepsi?
>
> Seriously, both are different tools trying to accomplish the same tasks.
> They differ in details both with pros and cons.
>
> > Yum replaces up2date and is the default package updater/maintainer
> > application for Fedora. If you want a GUI install yumex.
> >
> > I would not recommend installing apt-get because it is getting harder
> > to find apt-get based repositories for Fedora.
>
> The latter half of your sentence is true, there aren't many apt enabled
> repos anymore, but ... the apt-get in FE also supports metadata-repos
> (aka yum repos) - so this argument is void.

Many releases ago the primary reasons I had as a Red Hat/Fedora user
to install apt-get were 1) various packages were only available on
apt-enabled repositories and 2) apt-get was better [faster speed] than
up2date. I also installed yum because it was better [faster and more
features] than up2date. Up2date is gone and the remaining apt-enabled
repos support yum. Why should a Fedora user install apt-get?