Wieless security (was: Suspend bug)

Alan alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Feb 5 10:33:59 UTC 2007

> > Consensus is that WEP is a complete waste of time, now.
> <sarcasm>
> So, to your way of thinking, everyone should just run their AP wide open
> if they aren't running WPA.  Or is WPA not enough?
>
> On a similar vein, should I also leave my keys in my car and my front
> door unlocked since someone with the right knowledge can steal my car or
> break into my house anyway?  Just wondering.

WEP has zero security effect. The scanning tools will crack wep keys
trivially so in many cases an attacker won't even *notice* that you have
wep. It's more like having a lock on your car door that doesn't work at
all. It keeps out accidental browsers, because someone has to try the
door to notice it isn't locked.