VMWare repo

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 20:29:44 UTC 2007

On 05/02/07, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a repo where one could aquire VMWare player and
> > tools for FC6? All the instructions that I've found for installing
> > VMWare products involve messing around with the kernel, something that
> > I'd rather not do.
>
> Installing VMware products does not involve "messing around with the
> kernel".  It does involve compiling kernel modules that VMware needs to
> communicate with the "Virtual Machine" or as VMware would call it, the guest
> O/S.
>
> Even if there were a repo for it, the process of installing VMware from the
> repo would involve compiling the modules.  So, the end result would be the same.
>
> FWIW, if you want to install VMware products, my advice is to simply follow
> their instructions.  It is probably just me, but I prefer to do the same
> with the Nvidia drivers.  I am fond of running "non standard" things when I
> am more aware of what is going on.

I don't remember how I installed VMWare player on my Kubuntu box, but
I'm certain that I did not have to sess with the kernel. In fact, I
think I simply installed it via apt-get. If it's important to
somebody, then I can check.

Dotan Cohen

http://gmail-com.com
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/open_source.html