VMWare repo

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Feb 5 22:10:08 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Ah, I see. I thought that was considered messing with the kernel. I'm
> a bit better with spark plugs and pushrods than with kernels and
> modules.

I think my limousine, sometimes called a bus, has those.  I live in the
"city" and haven't owned a car in 15+ years.  Yet, sometimes I wish I knew
more about them than computers.

> I installed the Player from the VMWare site, ran the vmware-config.pl
> script and all is well so far as I can tell. I'm SSHing my vmware
> files from my kubuntu box over to test it out, but that will take all
> night (I can only get 400 kb/s over SSH for some reason, on two
> machines with a router between them).

You may or may not have troubles running those on another machine.  I don't
use VMware player or VMware server.  I use VMware Workstation and it has a
nice cloning feature and it performs some "magic" if you tell it the clone
will be run on a different machine.

If you have issues, give a yell and I'll try to help.  Otherwise, the VMware
forums are the place to go.  Much more experienced folks than I over there.

> In the meantime, I attempted to install VMware-server and found that
> it conflicts with the player:

Yes, that is true.  I believe that is mentioned in the release notes.  But,
I don't those things either.  :-)

> Should I remove the Player to install the Server? The only reason I'm
> installing Server is for the Tools. Thanks for your assistance and
> advice. I very much appreciate it, and I'll work hard so that you
> don't need to repeat yourself again.

I would do exactly that.  The nice thing about VMware Server is you can
start a VM and then logout of your host OS and the VM will continue to run
in the background.

Oh, I like repeating myself.  It makes me feel as if I've said something
useful.

Ed