bugzilla advice.

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 23:26:27 UTC 2007

On 2/5/07, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 05 February 2007 22:23, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 11:24 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > I have been roundly scolded for not using bugzilla so let me illustrate
> > > my current problem with this technique.
> >
> > And I hope that the Fedora Bugzilla is looked at more often than the KDE
> > one.  I have bugs in KDE going back to 2005 that are still UNCONFIRMED,
> > including one pretty serious one -- almost a crash.  It's depressing.
> > See the attached page.
> >
> If they are unconfirmed, what do you expect the developers to do?  Until
> someone comes up with more information they can do nothing.  Take your first
> one, for instance:
>
> Sometimes artsd locks up, generally when a program using it crashes
> or locks up
>
> and it goes on to talk about crashing realplayer.  So where is the bug?  KDE?
> Redhat 4? Realplayer?  Something else?  I don't see any follow-up
> information.
>
> The second one did get some dialogue, some information about what will and
> won't work, and apparently a solution to the problem, but still no bug was
> confirmed.  I just don't see what else could be done.
>
> I didn't have time to look at any more.

The QA review process for FOSS is hit or miss. Some projects have
really good maintainers; others have maintainers missing in action.
I'm not sure that all projects have a QA czar to ensure submitted
reports are reviewed.

<War Story> One time I submitted a bug and even identified where the
error occured in the code. No one reviewed the bug report. I even
emailed the "so called" maintainer listed in the code. No reply.
Fortunately, the bug was a big enough irritant that it was discussed
on the LKML and fixed. I closed my own report. </War Story>