Security Updates -- Are they necessary in Linux for user?

Martin Marques martin at bugs.unl.edu.ar
Tue Feb 6 11:34:44 UTC 2007

Benjamin Sher escribió:
> Dear friends:
>
> After installing Fedora and rebooting, I found myself facing the task of
> installing 213 security updates with Update Manager. It took nearly 2
> hours to download and install them. Since I am the only one using my
> Linux OS (as a user, of course), why do I need to worry about security.
> Am I not protected by the root/user system. What's your opinion? Please
> advise.

I can assure you that not even 10% of those packages where really
security updates. They were plain updates.

Now, for your question, YES, security updates are important, even when
it's your home computer (see how many home windows computers get
infected, even behind a firewall.

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués          |   Programador, DBA