bugzilla advice.

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 09:55:38 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I have been roundly scolded for not using bugzilla so let me illustrate
> my current problem with this technique.
<snip>

> On the
> other hand grip refuses to admit that the CD is available even though
> its icon appears on the desktop. Again no error messages appear except
> that the grip window shows nothing to play, so what bugzilla information
> would be helpful.

<snip>

In the case where there's no obvious diagnostic I'd quite
often ask on the list first to see if people can suggest
ways of investigating.  Other people have mentioned strace
for segfaults.  For grip I'd suggest:
1. Checking the configuration, grip must be told where to
    look for CDs (a minor annoyance with grip)
2. Run from the command line, specifying --device=DEVICE
    (with DEVICE being your CD drive) and --verbose (see
    man grip for others) to see if there's any more
    information.

--
imalone