limitation of user a/c ( telnet service )

edwardspl at ita.org.mo edwardspl at ita.org.mo
Wed Feb 7 12:46:24 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:

>edwardspl at ita.org.mo:
>

>>>But when user "edward" login to the server by the telnet service, then he
>>>can modify the dot file...
>>>

>Sam Varshavchik:
>

>>1) No, he can't.  Not if the file is owned by root, with no other
>>permissions.
>>

>The user owns the directory, they can remove files and create new ones.
>You'd have to do more than change those file's ownership to root, and
>I'm still not sure whether that'd work in a user's homespace.

Hello Tim,

1, All users they can login to the server by using the ssh-telnet client
actually.
2, I need to limit each of user account ( user profile files ), because
when a user modify / delete any profile file ( include the dot file and
default file from the system ), then the user may be login to the server
fail next time, so, I want to know which necessary files ( include the
dot files ) can be limited ( ownership to the root or another admin user ).

PS : my means is only root / adin user they can modify / delete other
profile of users, but it is still good for work to the user

eg:

login as: edward
edward at 192.168.0.1's password:
Last login: Wed Feb 7 12:30:45 2007 from 192.168.0.3
[edward at svr1 ~]$ ls -l -a
total 36
drwx------ 3 edward edward 4096 Feb 6 22:51 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Feb 6 22:50 ..
-rw------- 1 edward edward 67 Feb 7 12:47 .bash_history
-rw-r--r-- 1 edward edward 24 Feb 6 22:50 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r-- 1 edward edward 176 Feb 7 11:57 .bash_profile
-rw-r--r-- 1 edward edward 124 Feb 6 22:50 .bashrc
drwxr-xr-x 3 edward edward 4096 Feb 6 22:50 .kde
-rw-r--r-- 1 edward edward 658 Feb 6 22:50 .zshrc
[edward at svr1 ~]$

Edward.