How to setup dual monitors with FC5?

bdk at unb.ca bdk at unb.ca
Wed Feb 7 15:30:10 UTC 2007

I struggled with this through a number of iterations. It now works on my
Thinkpad T42P. The video card is
ATI Technologies Inc M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2] (rev 80). Below is a copy
of my /etc/X11.xorg.conf

......Brian Kaye
......UNB

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier     "Multihead layout"
         Screen      0  "Screen0" LeftOf "Screen1"
         Screen      1  "Screen1" 0 0
         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
         InputDevice    "Synaptics" "AlwaysCore"
         Option      "Xinerama" "off"
         Option      "Clone" "on"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of
the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
         FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
         Load  "dbe"
         Load  "extmod"
         Load  "fbdevhw"
         Load  "glx"
         Load  "record"
         Load  "freetype"
         Load  "type1"
         Load  "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#       Option  "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
# or:
#       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
#       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
         Driver      "kbd"
         Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
         Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
         Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Synaptics"
         Driver      "synaptics"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
         Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
         Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
         Option      "UseShm" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
         Identifier   "Monitor0"
         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
         ModelName    "LCD Panel 1600x1200"
  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
         HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
         VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
         Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC: ### Comment all
HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
         Identifier   "Monitor1"
         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
         ModelName    "IBM 9494"
  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
         HorizSync    30.0 - 80.0
         VertRefresh  56.0 - 85.0
         Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "ati"
         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
         BoardName   "ATI FireGL Mobility T2"
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard1"
         Driver      "radeon"
         VendorName  "Videocard Vendor"
         BoardName   "ATI Technologies Inc M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2]"
         Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
         BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
         Screen      1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Videocard0"
         Monitor    "Monitor0"
         DefaultDepth     24
         SubSection "Display"
                 Viewport   0 0
                 Depth     16
                 Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
         EndSubSection
         SubSection "Display"
                 Viewport   0 0
                 Depth     24
                 Modes    "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x960" "1152x864"
"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
         EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"