SD card reader (Winbond)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Feb 8 16:37:46 UTC 2007

David G. Miller wrote:
> "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>
>> > Dave
>> >   I think thing have changed, because I can use the SD reader in my
>> laptop that used the TI chipset. I did have to run a command on
>> startup that would turn off the Multi-Media reader, and turn on the
>> SD reader, but I am not sure if that is still necessary.
>>
>> Mikkel
> You wouldn't by any chance have a pointer to how to do such things?
> lspci for my laptop shows:
>
> 03:04.4 Class 0805: Texas Instruments
> PCI6411/6421/6611/6621/7411/7421/7611/7621 Secure Digital Controller
>        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 3085
>        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 23
>        Memory at b020a000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
>        Memory at b0208c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
>        Memory at b0208800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
>        Capabilities: <access denied>
>
> I got a new digital camera for Christmas that uses SD memory so I
> googled to see if I could get the card reader that's built in to my
> laptop to work with it.  Everything I found was all about how the SD
> consortium had patented certain aspects of accessing SD memory and would
> only license the information under non-disclosure and for a fee both of
> which made an open source driver problematic.  I guess I just found old
> articles.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

If you are running the 2.6.19 kernel, instead of loading the
mmc_block and sdhci modules, try loading the tifm_sd module. If you
get a message like "kernel: tifm_7xx1: sd card detected in socket 1"
in your logs when you insert a card, then running "modprobe

I had not used my SD slot for a while, and when I tried it with the
2.6.19 kernel, the way I used to access it no longer worked. I am
not sure what version of the kernel changed things. When I first got
it working, I had this in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

# Setup the 5 in 1 card reader for SD cards.
#
        setpci -s 04:06.2 4c.b=02
# Load the SD and MMC modules again.
        modprobe sdhci || exit 1
        modprobe mmc_block || exit 1

In order to get it to automount, I had to change a selinux mode.

semanage fcontext -a -t removable_device_t /dev/mmcblk.*

It doesn't look like it is needed any more...

Mikkel