Talking to Logitech on the phone regarding webcam support for linux

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 20:15:18 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:

> There are lots of us who bought what was supposed to be supported webcams,
> only to find the support was rather horribly broken and that we wasted
> $70 USD or more.

If you want to run an OS without a stable driver interface, you can
always pay extra for a network camera like these:
http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/

> I submit that their attitude vis-a-vis linux support IS sufficiently well
> known that sales of that sort of product to knowledgeable linux users is
> essentially zip.  But they need to ask themselves which came first, their
> refusal to support linux, or the non-existant sales to the millions of
> linux users out there?

Yes, if you want painless support, Linux probably wouldn't be your first
choice.  Most current Macs have cameras built in and include the software.

> As a group, I'd like to think we are the gearheads, but then I know of
> some winderz folks who have to have the absolute latest toys too, so...

I don't think you'll find a lot of new hardware where the Linux support
comes first.  I might have seen one exception to that - ever - and I'm
not sure if that device is still around.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com