password

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 8 21:07:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 11:58 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 13:05 +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> >
> >>How can one setup a system to ask for the root password to get into
> >>single user mode?
> >

> > Well, you can harden a box, somewhat, against meddlers by setting a BIOS
>
> [snip]
>
> > Of course, they can open the box and remove the hard drive to put in
> > another box, reset the BIOS to remove a BIOS password, or add another
> > drive, to get around restrictions of booting yours.  But that's not the
> > sort of thing someone could do to a PC in a public place without being
> > noticed.
>
> The only secure machine is one to which physical access is restricted.
> Any connections to the outside, including network or in some cases
> even power, can result in compromise. Once you have accepted less
> than full physical security you have left the world of security
> and entered the world of insecurity. There are various degrees
> of insecurity, but any "security" in this realm is of the relative
> kind, i.e. more secure than some systems, but less than others.

To this let me add, in today's world, with advanced rf detection,
advanced photo detection and dsp processing, even allowing radiation of
any kind to escape means you are not secure.  Phone lines, power lines,
windows, and even non-metallic walls do not protect you from scanning or
interception in terms of "ultimate security".

The video information that your monitor receives radiates, as do the USB
interfaces, and infra-red ports, among others.  It is tough to be secure
today.

Regards,
Les H