Livna repo broken?

Peter Gückel gueckelp at telus.net
Fri Feb 9 20:05:48 UTC 2007

On February 9, 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> That's either impossible or inefficient. There are two issues here -
> Multiple multimedia frameworks or engines like xine and gstreamer. If I
> dont use xine, I wouldnt want a package to require it as a dependency
> just so as to satisfy my requirements for a gstreamer plugin. Also there
> are multiple programs. I dont want to install Amarok plugins if I dont
> use Amarok either. So a split makes sense for granularity.

I understand the xine/gstreamer distinction - they are likely in a different
format, or something, hence incompatible.

But the ones using xine/mplayer codecs, couldn't they just all
use /usr/lib/codecs and not be dependencies, so that they don't need to get
upgraded every time the program does, and only when the actual codecs are
upgraded?

--
Peter Gückel
http://www3.telus.net/pg56cgy