Livna repo broken?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 9 23:12:08 UTC 2007

Peter Gückel wrote:
> On February 9, 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> That's either impossible or inefficient. There are two issues here -
>> Multiple multimedia frameworks or engines like xine and gstreamer. If I
>> dont use xine, I wouldnt want a package to require it as a dependency
>> just so as to satisfy my requirements for a gstreamer plugin. Also there
>> are multiple programs. I dont want to install Amarok plugins if I dont
>> use Amarok either. So a split makes sense for granularity.
>
> I understand the xine/gstreamer distinction - they are likely in a different
> format, or something, hence incompatible.
>
> But the ones using xine/mplayer codecs, couldn't they just all
> use /usr/lib/codecs and not be dependencies, so that they don't need to get
> upgraded every time the program does, and only when the actual codecs are
> upgraded?

That would work as long as the programs take into consideration the ABI
of Xine and Gstreamer. For gstreamer there are well defined guidelines
as well as the ability to install versions in parallel. I believe Xine
is more volatile in that. If so a requirement on specific versions of
Xine should fix that.

Rahul