videolan

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat Feb 10 15:45:55 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
>>Can you give me an example?
>
> Not easily - I don't have anything that conflicts right now.

FreshRPMS sometimes replaces system libraries with newer versions.
This is done to provide new features but it can cause conflicts.  One
recent example was that libgpod was updated there.  Core was providing
libgpod-0.3.0 and freshrpms updated that to libgpod-0.4.0 not noticing
that they were not ABI/API compatible.  That's causing an
incompatibility with Core and Extras.

In other cases, the stuff in FreshRPMS simply isn't compatible with
things in other repos like Livna (and vice cersa) due to different
methods of packaging similar software.

>>Are you saying that livna is supported by RedHat?

Livna is definitely NOT supported by RedHat or Fedora.  The things
provided by Livna are things that are not allowed in Fedora for
various reasons (licensing, patents, etc.)

Suppose I were a member of Congress, and suppose I were an idiot. But,
I repeat myself.
    -- Mark Twain