does simple "DISPLAY=" and "xhost +" not work anymore?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 10 15:59:28 UTC 2007

  just for the entertainment value, i was showing a group of newbie
linux users how easy it was to run a graphical client remotely, so i
did the same thing i've done many times -- had one person run "xhost
+" and someone else set DISPLAY appropriately so run an "xclock" on
their system and have the window itself pop up on the remote system.

  to my surprise, it didn't work even though it seemed like i'd done
the same thing i'd done so many times before.  time prevented me from
digging into it further but is there something about FC6 that stops
this from working anymore?

  do you need to do additional work with ssh or xauth or something
these days?  thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA