OT: can antennas for wireless Internet cause damage to health?

CroombeFP croombefp at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 10 23:44:17 UTC 2007

I guess questions like this are peripherally relevant to the world of
computing whether commercial or domestic.

The simple answer is : after over 60 years of research first initiated
when radar became common during WW2, the jury is still out. There is
little if any reproducible evidence to show that EMF waves of any
frequency can be harmful except, of course, high intensity millimetric
waves used in radar and microwave ovens. Then there are very few people
I know of who would willingly put their heads or hands inside a
microwave, cheat the override switch and then turn it on to "see how it
feels". Workers in and around EMF fields whether these be from very low
power x-ray machines, radar units, nuclear reactors, accelerators and so
on, wear radiation badges which are analyzed regularly to ensure that
the wearer has not been exposed to any harmful radiation. With the
proliferation of radio for so many things, we are surrounded and swamped
by EMF radiation wherever we go : it is far more damaging for your
health to fly, for instance, from Ottawa to Toronto than is is to be
near any microwave transmitter for use such as wireless Internet, cell
phones, remote control and suchlike. Radio transmission for audio and
video has been with us since the early 1930s : have you ever read
anywhere of an increase in death rate from even living right below a
transmission tower?

Try looking on web sites such as the CNA's to find out the real story
about EMF health risks.

I lived directly under an active 250 kV, 50 Hz power line for a long
time and there were absolutely NO effects from so doing. My daughters
were born at home right under those lines and they are healthy
middle-aged women now.

Rest assured, there are no health hazards involved. There is more danger
from lying next to one's wife in bed or viewing TV in ones basement
(where the radiation is not from the TV but from merely being in the
basement) than from EMF radiation (except, of course, high power radar
units, but they are usually well away from residential areas and are
highly shielded against radiation from stray lobes in the antenna
emission pattern.

CroombeFP