a humble request

oleksandr korneta atenrok at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 03:06:36 UTC 2007

on 02/10/2007 06:54 PM Globe Trotter wrote:
> --- Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/10/07, Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> please bring back automatic editing of /etc/fstab with a mount of
>>> removable
>>> media. is there any particular reason why it is better to have it removed?
>>> life
>>> has been too complicated ever since....
>>

>> Sorry, but this is not going to change. We have to adapt.
>> The main difference is that one will never know, in advance,
>> where something is going to be mounted
>> /media/....
>>
>> But a well written python script can even find out this for you.
>
> Can someone please find this out then? The problem with a moving target is that
> programs that actually do something can not be written to read data from a
> disk.
>
> Are Ubuntu, etc also going the same way?
>
>> The reason? Is it not easier for an end user, who has no idea what fstab is?
>
> Can we not have both? Linux is for the end user but also for the advanced user,
> I hope!
>
> I do not believe that many an end user is going to use Linux. Sadly, the fear
> factor is too high. This is what MS lives off.....
>
> Besides what are

the main advantage was that even if you turn off the automatic mounting
of removable media the mounting points were created in the /media right
after your SD_card/USB_stick/UMS_flashplayer was inserted. So I was able
to open a terminal (using a predefined hotkey), mount the media, copy
stuff, and unmount the media without touching the mouse. Now I feel like
handicap, because Nautilus is made for people with only one finger glued
to the mouse, and I don't know any other to mount/unmount the media...

So I completely agree that life in linux is getting tougher and tougher
for advanced user...

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./