a humble request

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Feb 11 04:15:50 UTC 2007

On Saturday 10 February 2007 22:06, oleksandr korneta wrote:
>on 02/10/2007 06:54 PM Globe Trotter wrote:
>> --- Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, but this is not going to change. We have to adapt.
>>> The main difference is that one will never know, in advance,
>>> where something is going to be mounted
>>> /media/....
>>>
>>> But a well written python script can even find out this for you.
>>
>> Can someone please find this out then? The problem with a moving
>> target is that programs that actually do something can not be written
>> to read data from a disk.
>>
>> Are Ubuntu, etc also going the same way?
>>
>>> The reason? Is it not easier for an end user, who has no idea what
>>> fstab is?
>>
>> Can we not have both? Linux is for the end user but also for the
>> advanced user, I hope!
>>
>> I do not believe that many an end user is going to use Linux. Sadly,
>> the fear factor is too high. This is what MS lives off.....
>>
>> Besides what are
>
>the main advantage was that even if you turn off the automatic mounting
>of removable media the mounting points were created in the /media right
>after your SD_card/USB_stick/UMS_flashplayer was inserted. So I was able
>to open a terminal (using a predefined hotkey), mount the media, copy
>stuff, and unmount the media without touching the mouse. Now I feel like
>handicap, because Nautilus is made for people with only one finger glued
>to the mouse, and I don't know any other to mount/unmount the media...
>
>So I completely agree that life in linux is getting tougher and tougher
>for advanced user...

Amen Brother!

Particularly when a failed mount attempt locks the friggin daemon up and
everything then comes to a halt.  I just rebooted because my cf reader
wasn't working, to no avail.  I finally unplugged it and plugged it back
in to powerdown reset it, which did work and I'll be schmardter next
time.  Since the usb does have the ability to shut the power off to
external devices, such an action really should be part of the action if
an automount gets hung.  Then shut it off for 5 seconds and power it back
up.  At least one would have a clue from all the blinkenlights since most
of these things seem to think they have to have a 'mood light' in them, a
blue led that's bright enough to use as a nightlight.  Not being color
blind, I personally would like to see a white led in there, but that's
the thing that sells according to the marketting dummies.

>--
>regards,
>Oleksandr Korneta
>
>/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose
> from./

Yup.  :-)
--
Cheers, Gene